Moving into the cloud, possibly

Driver Database has grown considerably this past year, which is great. What’s not so great is that it also basically means the Driver Database server needs considerable updates too. I’ve been contemplating on the way forward and I almost came to a descicion on the path ahead. The idea was to keep the current server (which now does everything) and rent a second and faster one that would only serve as the MySQL server (which is the biggest bottleneck when it comes to speed on the website). This would have the advantage that I only need to migrate the database and not the entire website. I would also stay at the current provider, JTLnet, which I only have good things to say about.

However I’m currently reconsidering this and am thinking about moving into a cloud based hosting setup from City Cloud. It would mean migrating the complete website to a whole new continent, but the benefits will probably be greater. The major benefit of cloud servers is that I would be able to upgrade the servers on the fly, adding memory, CPU cores, disk space etc when it’s needed. If the traffic, for example, is huge one day I can add an extra core, only to remove it the day after when the traffic is back to normal.

I’m going to set up a new server and evaluate it for a while, and then make a decision.

One Response to “Moving into the cloud, possibly”

  1. Dirk kempen Says:

    good to see an update again! good luck with the updates, ill be posting new 2010 results then!

Leave a Reply