Archive for the ‘Driver blogs’ Category

New front page for driver blogs

Friday, February 5th, 2010

The Driver blogs now have a new front page. Nothing too exciting or pretty, but it should work for now.

It’s been a few days

Friday, January 8th, 2010

It’s been a few days since the last post in this update blog. That doesn’t mean there hasn’t been any updates though.

The work with the Premier Profiles is making progress. At the moment I’m working on getting the tools ready on the “Submit info” page. Once those are working like they should – and easy to work with – I’ll have a go at the Payment options. First off I’m going to offer payment with PayPal as it’s in my opinion is the easiest and most well spread way of online payment available for small businesses. That it works with credit card payments without the need for a PayPal account in many countries is of course a plus as well. So, the priority is in getting to know the PayPal API so it’s easy to upgrade a regular driver profile into a shiny new Premier Profile. I’ll have a look at different payment options later on as I know PayPal isn’t the preferred choice for everyone.

I’ve now only a few driver blogs left to migrate to the new system, so most bloggers can now use their new blogs. Matt Cherrington blogged yesterday about his 2010 plans and I helped out Rory Butcher with adding his header image to his blog.

I stumbled across a few more character encoding issues and fixed them. Hopefully there’s not too many left now…

I also like to congratulate Raed Raffii and the Meezer Group team for their great results in the latest round of the Chevrolet Supercars Middle East championship. The Driver Database stickers are helping, of course! ;)

NZ and another driver blog migrated

Saturday, January 2nd, 2010

As it’s the off season there’s not too many results that have to be reported every day I decided to extend the NZ coverage a bit by adding the New Zealand MINI Challenge to the list of series to do coverage for (NZV8′s, Posche GT3, Formula Ford and Toyota Racing Series are the other ones). It’s one of those descisions that I know will come back and haunt me this spring when 2,000 other championships start and tries to grab my attention. Fortunately for me (but unfortunately for the sport) they seem to have a pretty weak field this year with less than ten cars, so it shouldn’t be that much more work to keep up with.

While adding the MINI Challenge I also stumbled across another effect of the changing of character sets on the website. Since I’m Swedish I tend to use a lot of Swedish words as variable names in the code, and since PHP really doesn’t mind foreign characters in variable names I’ve sometimes used a couple of å’s, ä’s and ö’s, eventhough it’s probably bad practice and frowned upon. The problem with the change of character set is that when one of these variables are passed through a web form (for example adding a driver) the variable called $exämple suddenly becomes $ex�mple and the script that processes the form then has no idea what’s going on and $exämple ends up being completely blank. It’s simple enough to fix by just renaming the variable, but perhaps there are more of these places in the code. Time will tell. ;)

I also migrated another driver blog from my own system to the new WordPress MU setup. This time it was our Mexican friend Rodrigo Marbán who now has a “new” blog. It’s been a while since his last update though. Come back Rodrigo, we miss you! :)

Blogs on profile pages, again.

Thursday, December 31st, 2009

Added the new blogs to the profile pages of the driverdb bloggers. It won’t show posts older than four months, other than that it’s just as it was before. I also updated some more character encoding issues.

This blog went public as well. What an exciting way to end the year. ;)

Blog troubles

Tuesday, December 29th, 2009

Realized the recent blog posts in the left sidebar wasn’t updating properly. Found a misspelled variable in my code which made a little mess. Fixed, or so I thought. Found a missing “;” (how very n00b of me!) in an SQL statement as well. Fixed!