Archive for the ‘Results’ Category

Tools for complete results coverage

Monday, June 7th, 2010

I’ve now added some tools which enables all members of Level 1 and above (the members who have rights to save directly to the database without having to wait for changes to be approved by administrators) to take charge of keeping complete results coverage up to date for the championships of their choice.

By going to the championship standings page of a championship (or the race results page if it’s a non-championship race) there’s a new link under Member Tools named “Become responsible for complete coverage…”. By clicking that link and the button that appears the member takes charge of that championship.

The member can now go to their Dashboard and will see that this championship has appeared under the Coverage header.

The member can then add results, edit results, add new entries in the championship calendar, edit the calendar etc. Fun times!

There are a few more things planned to streamline things a bit, but at least there’s something to get you going. :)

A small bug fix

Tuesday, January 26th, 2010

Members with direct write permissions have probable noticed and been rather annoyed about that it hasn’t been possible to completely remove a driver’s website. It’s been possible to remove the current URL, but the little house icon has still been present – although pointing at nothing. Today I took care of it so if you now delete the website, the house icon gets removed as well.

Otherwise this day has been spent adding results. Both current results for the NZ based championships but also a couple of oldies; most notably the 2003 season of the British Formula Ford championship.

Saving time

Sunday, January 10th, 2010

I rewrote the script I’ve been using for adding racing calendars for the results reporting (those results that can be viewed under the “Races” header in the driver profiles). It turned out to be quite the time saver and will save a couple of precious minutes when it’s time to add all those NASCAR championships and their 36 or so races. Perhaps more than time it saves me from going mental from boredom when adding races…

This little script is not safe for general use yet, but a modified version of this will probably be available for a select few users later on.

SPEED World Challenge 2004

Monday, January 4th, 2010

Wasn’t really in the mood for coding so instead I decided to add the complete results from the SPEED World Challenge GT championship in 2004 instead. 60 drivers and 10 races. Now we have complete results from 2004 and to date for this championship and I’m slowly moving back in time. :)

SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT Championship 2004

The stats so far:
SPEED World Challenge GT 2004-2009

NZ and another driver blog migrated

Saturday, January 2nd, 2010

As it’s the off season there’s not too many results that have to be reported every day I decided to extend the NZ coverage a bit by adding the New Zealand MINI Challenge to the list of series to do coverage for (NZV8′s, Posche GT3, Formula Ford and Toyota Racing Series are the other ones). It’s one of those descisions that I know will come back and haunt me this spring when 2,000 other championships start and tries to grab my attention. Fortunately for me (but unfortunately for the sport) they seem to have a pretty weak field this year with less than ten cars, so it shouldn’t be that much more work to keep up with.

While adding the MINI Challenge I also stumbled across another effect of the changing of character sets on the website. Since I’m Swedish I tend to use a lot of Swedish words as variable names in the code, and since PHP really doesn’t mind foreign characters in variable names I’ve sometimes used a couple of å’s, ä’s and ö’s, eventhough it’s probably bad practice and frowned upon. The problem with the change of character set is that when one of these variables are passed through a web form (for example adding a driver) the variable called $exämple suddenly becomes $ex�mple and the script that processes the form then has no idea what’s going on and $exämple ends up being completely blank. It’s simple enough to fix by just renaming the variable, but perhaps there are more of these places in the code. Time will tell. ;)

I also migrated another driver blog from my own system to the new WordPress MU setup. This time it was our Mexican friend Rodrigo Marbán who now has a “new” blog. It’s been a while since his last update though. Come back Rodrigo, we miss you! :)

Radical

Sunday, December 27th, 2009

Added the complete results from all 16 races of the 2009 Swedish Radical championship. Congrats to Andreas Ebbesson for winning the title – a move to STCC in a BMW 320si for 2010 is planned.